[libvirt-users] virt-install with --channel option inquiry

Hongqing Yang hoyang at redhat.com
Mon Jan 17 10:51:09 UTC 2011

hi, virt guys,
This is Hongqing from Fedroa QA team. I try to forward the guest installation logs to host with virtio.
I have used virsh edit <guestName> to add a channel, it works fine.
I think it would be better if I can initialize it when I create the guest using virt-install,
and virt-install also offers the option, I have tried  below, but it does not work.
virt-install
     --connect qemu:///system \
     --virt-type kvm \
     --name demo2 \
     --ram 500 \
     --disk  path=/home/hongqing/testscript/demo2.img,size=10,sparse=true \
     --accelerate \
     --cdrom  /home/hongqing/fedora/Fedora-14-x86_64-DVD.iso \
     --channel tcp host=127.0.0.1:6080  mode=connect target_type=virtio name=org.fedoraproject.anaconda.log.0

error message is :
ERROR    internal error Process exited while reading console log output: char device redirected to /dev/pts/20
getaddrinfo(127.0.0.1,None): Servname not supported for ai_socktype
chardev: opening backend "socket" failed

both the host and guest are fedaora 14.
I have checked the service syslog with port 6080 is listening. and also I have disabled the SElinux.
Do you have any idea about this? Thanks for taking time to view it.

Hongqing YANG