[libvirt-users] git repository access via HTTPS

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Jan 24 12:42:51 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 11:33:28PM +1100, Justin Clift wrote:
> On 24/01/2011, at 11:06 PM, Fyodor Kupchik wrote:
> > I can make a checkout from https://github.org and there exist several repos with the libvirt sources but I don't know if I can safely use them.
> >
> > Unfortunately I can't use snapshot since I'm using scripted installation procedure. Yes, I can rewrite the script but it is not convenient to me because I want to automate update and compilation of sources and maintaining the patches for the bootstrap script looks painful to me.
> >
> > Can anyone from the official team create a repo on github server and configure mirroring the sources tree? Of course the best way it to have HTTPS on the official libvirt.org site.
>
> Hey Daniel, where is the git mirroring to gitorious done?
>
> Is it a script or something that pushes from the libvirt.org servers, or something that pulls from gitorious, or something else?
>
> Was thinking of setting up an equivalent for GitHub, as
>  gitorious has problems with http:// and https:// access.

Err, http:// access works fine with gitorious. I think
you simply didn't wait long enough. GIT's  HTTP access
mechanism is seriously inefficient, and doesn't appear
to give you ongoing progress feedback like the git://
protocol, so expect to wait a while. I've verified I
can clone the main GIT repo over http in about 2 minutes
using:

 git clone http://git.gitorious.org/libvirt/libvirt.git

Regards,
Daniel