[libvirt-users] syslog messages after cd-rom removal

Guido Winkelmann guido-libvi at unknownsite.de
Thu Jan 27 12:27:34 UTC 2011

Am Thursday 27 January 2011 schrieb Justin Clift:
> On 27/01/2011, at 5:38 AM, Alexander Topolanek wrote:
> > Sorry, I know this is not really libvirt related, but I'm searching for a
> > solution sind about an hour and cannot find anything that helps me ...
> >
> > Ok, I used to install a standard debian in a kvm instance, and removed
> > the virtual cd-rom after installation. Now I'm getting this triplet
> > every five minutes in my syslog:
> >
> > Jan 26 19:25:12 srv62 kernel: [ 1324.267675] hdc: task_in_intr:
> > status=0x41 { DriveReady Error } Jan 26 19:25:12 srv62 kernel: [
> > 1324.267683] hdc: task_in_intr: error=0x04 { AbortedCommand } Jan 26
> > 19:25:12 srv62 kernel: [ 1324.267685] ide: failed opcode was: 0xec
> >
> > and I'm looking how to get rid of the device.
>
> Just for clarification, is that the syslog of the host machine, or the
> syslog of a guest?
>
> If it's the guest, I'm kind of wondering if you did the "sudo eject" thing
> before removing the virtual-cdrom, so the guest "knows" the cd drive don't
> have any mdedia in it?

Why should that be necessary? On my physical machine, I can just manually eject
the cdrom, too, without saying sudo eject first, and the kernel will not be that
confused by it.

My suspicion is that he accidentally removed the entire virtual drive from the
kvm instance, instead of just the medium...

	Guido