[libvirt-users] Blank console and no boot

Francesc Guasch frankie at telecos.upc.edu
Thu May 19 10:37:01 UTC 2011

Hi. I was cloning a domain and now I can't boot the original
nor the clone domain.

Currently when I start one of those domains I can see only a
blank screen. I am not sure what went wrong cloning. I was trying
to use kpart to mount the new image and change info in the filesystem
like hostname, ip and so. Anyway when I start the new or old domain:

   # virsh start --console thedomain
    Domain thedomain started
    Connected to domain thedomain
    Escape character is ^]

And that's all.I see nothing with libvirt graphical console, nothing in
the logs but this, that I guess it's the usual startup info:

  LC_ALL=C
  PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/bin
  QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=none /usr/bin/kvm -S -M pc-0.12 -enable-kvm -m 512 -smp
  1,sockets=1,cores=1,threads=1 -name ....

This is qemu-kvm 0.12.5+noroms-0ubuntu7.1 on ubuntu server 10.

Any hints so I can check what could have go wrong ? I am concerned about
not being able to see what is going on. I guess there must be a way to
start the domains and watch the boot process somehow. Is this possible ?

thank you for you time