[libvirt-users] auto-set /cgroup/*/libvirt/qemu/<vm name>/ directory permissions on creation

Ben Clay rbclay at ncsu.edu
Tue Nov 1 21:27:24 UTC 2011

Is there a way to automatically set the permissions of cgroups directories
created by libvirt when a VM is launched?

Although it looks like I can set permissions on top-level /cgroup
directories via cgconfig.conf, the cgconfig.conf manpage says "Permissions
are related only to enclosing control group and are not inherited by
subgroups.".  From this, I believe that when libvirt creates VMs, the new
directories under /cgroup/*/libvirt/qemu/<vm name>/ will not receive the
cgconfig.conf permissions.

Where in the libvirt config can I set this?  We need users other than root
to write to specific subsystems.

I can ask on the libcg mailing list as well, but I thought I'd try here
first since libvirt is dynamically creating / destroying these groups.

Thanks.

Ben Clay

 <mailto:rbclay at ncsu.edu> rbclay at ncsu.edu