[libvirt-users] Libvirt newbie, need help with doubts

PREETHI RAMESH iampreethiramesh at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 11:28:00 UTC 2011

Hi,
These are my doubts:

1. I tried live migration of Ubuntu 11.04 from the one physical machine to
another using the migrate() function. I connected via tcp in the destination
URI and migrated successfully(lesser than 2 seconds). I tried running virsh
list --all on the destination PM and confirmed that the VM had been migrated
successfully.

When I tried checking ps aux | grep vmname where vmname was the name of the
VM migrated, I could see that on the source PM the thread was still active
with the PID though the machine had been migrated successfully.

Shouldn't the vmname not be listed at all on the source PM's side,if it has
been completely migrated?

Isn't 2 seconds too little(considering the memory allotted to the VM was
128MB and I'm using a 100Mbps LAN switch, time taken=size/speed~10 seconds).

Why is virsh list --all showing me that the VM migrated to be shutdown on
the source PM? If it's been completely migrated, shouldn't the entry be
removed completely?

2. Is there any way to set the CPU limit in terms of % of CPU used on a VCPU
using libvirt function? As in, if I want my VM to use just 10% of VCPU 1.

3. I'm developing an application in Java to monitor VM usage(Memory,CPU,
Network etc). Are there any easily integrable graph plotting applications I
could integrate with?

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Preethi