[libvirt-users] Performance tuning questions for mail server

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Mon Oct 10 22:13:44 UTC 2011

On 10/10/2011 03:52 PM, Alex wrote:
> I made this change by editing the xml, restarting libvirtd, then using
> virsh to define the xml file and received this message:
>
> virsh # define /etc/libvirt/qemu/bwimail02.xml
> error: Failed to define domain from /etc/libvirt/qemu/bwimail02.xml
> error: missing source information for device vda
>
> Have I done something wrong, or am I missing something?

Yes, you goofed by directly editing /etc/libvirt.  By doing that, you
are going behind libvirt's back - if your edits happen to work, then a
libvirtd restart will use them, but if you introduce a typo or other
problem, then it is your fault that libvirt can't get things to work.
If you had instead gone through the libvirt API (such as by using 'virsh
edit bwimail02'), then libvirt would do some sanity checking up front
and refuse to install your changes unless they were safe.

That said, your typo:

 >      <source dev='/dev/server02_vg1_2tb/lv_vm03_swap'/>

is that you used <source dev=/> instead of <source file=/>.  Even if the
source is a raw block device on the host, you still call it out using
file= in the xml.