[libvirt-users] Identifying proper CPU type

Alex mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 06:27:22 UTC 2011

Hi,

I've been working on trying to figure out why my virtual machine keeps
crashing when I don't believe I have a hardware problem, and I believe
I might know why. As I'm relatively new to this, I believe I may have
misconfigured the XML file to try and maximize the CPU features that
are available to the guest from the host.

I have an Intel Xeon E3-1240 3.3Ghz quad-core. How can I properly
configure the XML file to transparently make available as many of the
CPU features as possible to the guest?

I have read cpu_map.xml, and my processor has more capabilities than
anything listed. I've now configured the <cpu> section to read as
follows:

  <cpu>
    <topology sockets='1' cores='4' threads='2'/>
  </cpu>

The guest processor still seems to indicate there is only one core,
despite there being 7 processors? Below is the cpuinfo from the host,
followed by that of the guest:

processor       : 7
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 42
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31240 @ 3.30GHz
stepping        : 7
cpu MHz         : 3301.000
cache size      : 8192 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 8
core id         : 3
cpu cores       : 4
apicid          : 7
initial apicid  : 7
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 13
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe
syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl
xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl
vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt aes
xsave avx lahf_lm ida arat epb xsaveopt pln pts dts tpr_shadow vnmi
flexpriority ept vpid
bogomips        : 6584.20
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

Guest:
processor       : 7
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 2
model name      : QEMU Virtual CPU version 0.14.0
stepping        : 3
cpu MHz         : 3292.520
cache size      : 4096 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 8
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 1
apicid          : 0
initial apicid  : 0
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 4
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx lm rep_good nopl
pni cx16 popcnt hypervisor lahf_lm
bogomips        : 6585.04
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64