[libvirt-users] Hard limit for the cpu usage of a VM

sethuraman subbiah sethusubbiah at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 19:50:29 UTC 2011

Hi ,

I was previously using xen and currently moved to KVM. I am using libvirt to manage these VMs. In den's credit scheduler , I had the ability to set a cap on the cpu usage for a VM. But I was not able to find a similar substitute in KVM. I find that we can use cgroups to provide shares for VM but that will be more like weight based and it doesn't set a hard cap for that VM. I tried using cpulimit but I find it inaccurate and we can give values only between 0-100. Thus, I think it cannot support multi core environments. Can any one suggest a method to set a hard limit on a VM's cpu usage? Thank you.

-
Regards,
Sethuraman Subbiah

Graduate Student - NC state University