[libvirt-users] How to collect the VM bandwidth usage utilization

Peter Phaal peter.phaal at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 23:18:24 UTC 2011

If you are trying to monitor KVM, XenServer or Xen then you might want
to take a look at the Host sFlow project:
http://host-sflow.sourceforge.net/

The Host sFlow agent is installed on the hypervisor and exports
libvirt metrics for the VMs. sFlow uses a push model, continually
streaming the metrics as UDP datagrams to a central collector. Pushing
the statistics scales much better than polling and automatically
adapts as VMs are added, moved and removed.

Take a look at Ganglia for collecting and displaying the metrics:
http://ganglia.sourceforge.net/

If you are using the latest versions of XCP or XenServer, then you can
use sFlow monitoring in the Open vSwitch to get detailed visibility
into traffic flows:
http://openvswitch.org/

Open vSwitch supports both sFlow and NetFlow for traffic monitoring,
the following article provides a comparison:
http://blog.sflow.com/2011/10/comparing-sflow-and-netflow-in-vswitch.html

Peter