Re: [libvirt-users] Reg: Difference between chroot & pivot_root

Am Dienstag, 6. September 2011, 19:02:14 schrieb Alphonse Hansel Anthony:
> Hi,
>    What is the difference between chroot & pivot_root.

As far as I know, chroot changes only the effective root for one newly started
process and all the child processes it will start in the future, leaving all
other processes unaffected, while pivot_root changes the root for the entire
system, killing all other processes.

The last time I saw pivot_root in practical use, it was as part of some multi-
staged boot-over-nfs process.

	Guido