[libvirt-users] Reality check requested...

Andrew Cathrow acathrow at redhat.com
Tue Apr 3 06:57:55 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

it's not about libvirt it's about your hypervisor.
You say virt-manager but that could be kvm, qemu or xen. I'll presume kvm for now.
KVM emulates a different set of hardware components than VMware does - eg. PIIX3 chipset, IDE (or virtio), ich9 (or maybe ac96/es1379) soundcard, etc
When you take a VM from one platform to another it will see different hardware - eg. it might see SCSI on VMware.
Linux is much better than Windows at adjusting to hardware changes but you have to be careful about how you configure the guest - eg. use emulation (IDE) rather that paravirt devices (VirtIO) that means you lose performance but are more likely for the VM to boot on VMware.