[libvirt-users] Remote Shutdown of Server 2008

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Tue Aug 7 20:02:58 UTC 2012

On 08/07/2012 01:22 PM, Gutierrez-Robles, Frank wrote:

> I have a VM of Microsoft Server 2008 SP1. I am using virsh commands to
> power it on/off. I can power on/off when the admin is logged in to the
> Server VM, and when there are no users logged in, but when the admin
> locks the screen, I cannot seem to power it off. The virsh command
> states that the domain is being shutdown, but it in fact does not. I
> looked at some registry settings for the VM (server 2008) and see if I
> can pinpoint an entry I need to set, but had no luck. Any ideas? Thank
> you for your support.

If you are able to install the qemu-agent guest agent into your Windows
guest, then newer qemu and libvirt have an option to use the guest agent
to trigger a shutdown in this situation.  But without that, you are
stuck with the fact that by default, Windows ignores APCI interrupts
when locked.  There might be a registry setting you can tweak to make
Windows behave differently than default, but offhand I don't know what
it would be.