[libvirt-users] migration with non-root user

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Wed Aug 8 22:20:41 UTC 2012

On 08/08/2012 11:45 AM, Yih Chuang wrote:

>> What do you get on this host if you do 'virsh uri'?  Is it qemu:///session?
>>
>> Yes.
> [vmc at c3rh2 yih]$ virsh uri
> qemu:///session

So you are indeed running a session guest; that tends to get less
testing because networking is an issue for session guests (although
there is hope on the horizon for allowing non-root session appropriate
access to macvtap devices through a network helper app).

>> Again, on this machine, what do:
>>
>> virsh uri
>> sudo virsh uri
>>
>> [vmc at c3rh1 yih]$ virsh uri
> qemu:///session
>
> [vmc at c3rh1 yih]$ sudo virsh uri
> qemu:///system

And migration really did go from session to system, in spite of the
session in your migrate command.  Yuck.

>> display?  It looks like migration went from a session to a system
>> libvirtd.  To be honest, I have no idea if session migration is even
>> supposed to work.  So it's possible you have exposed a bug.
>>

>>> * The libvirt version is libvirt-0.9.10-21.el6_3.1.x86_64 on both hosts.
>>
>> Since you are using RHEL libvirt, would you mind opening a support
>> ticket with Red Hat?
>
>> No, I don't mind at all.  Do you have the instructions?

Having not done it myself, I'm guessing here; but
https://access.redhat.com/home has a link to 'open a new support case'
which looks promising.