[libvirt-users] virt-install: "ERROR Host does not support any virtualization options"

Felix Blanke felixblanke at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 08:33:23 UTC 2012

On 2/8/12 12:52 AM, Cole Robinson wrote:
> On 02/07/2012 08:11 AM, Felix Blanke wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I tried (most) of your use flags without any change.
>>
>> Maybe it's because my CPU is very new and qemu-kvm-1.0-r2 has problem with
>> that. Whatever, I'm fine with the 9999 version.
>>
>> Still needs to get a tutorial how to use vde with virt-install. Can't find
>> anything in the net :(
>>

> The root cause is that older libvirt failed at parsing the qemu 1.0 version
> string. Please file a bug with your distro and ask them to backport this fix
> so other users won't hit the same problem:
>
> http://libvirt.org/git/?p=libvirt.git;a=commit;h=dd8e8956060f38b084d581ed63f934c3d8202071
>
> - Cole

Hi Cole,

you're right. I installed libvirt-0.9.8 (instead of 0.9.6) and it works
fine with qemu-1.0-r2.

Gentoo doesn't have to backport it. There is 0.9.8 allready in portage,
but masked (means not 100% stable). But qemu-kvm-1.0-r2 is also marked
as masked. Therefore it is only a combination of one masked
(qemu-kvm-1.0-r2) and one unmasked (libvirt-0.9.6) package, which isn't
anything I could complain about :)
Maybe I should fill in a "bug" report that if qemu-kvm is unmasked they
need to unmask libvirt, too. I'll thing about it.

Thank you for clearing things up.

Kind regards,
Felix Blanke