[libvirt-users] virt-manager thru window's remote desktop

Trey Dockendorf treydock at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 02:36:21 UTC 2012

On Feb 12, 2012 8:02 PM, "Hisao Taguchi" <hisao.taguchi at uniadex.co.jp>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to operate the remote KVM host's virt-manager thru Terminal
Server Client.

> This KVM hosts is CentOS6.0 and running KVM guest and xrdp is installed
from "epel" repo.
> And I'm using fedora 14's Terminal Server Client.
>
> After I started Virtual Machine Manager and try to connect to the
hypervisor,
> following error happened. Is there any way to resolve this error?
> I know that when I use VNC server , this error does not happened,
> but I want to use Terminal Server rather than VNC,
> because this doesn't need extra software for windows client PCs.
>
> -- Error snip --
> Virtual Machine Manager Connection Failure
> Unable to open a connection to the libvirt management daemon.
> Libvirt URI is: qemu:///system
> Verify that:
> - The 'libvirtd' daemon has been started
> Details
>
> Unable to open connection to hypervisor URI 'qemu:///system':
> authentication failed
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/connection.py",
> line 992, in_try_open
>   None],flags)
>  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/libvirt.py",line
> 111,in openAuth
>  if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virConnectOpenAuth()
> failed')
> libvirtError: authentication failed
>
> -- end --
>
> Hisao

Is virt-manager running on the kvm host or guest?

If its the guest you cant connect to local host.  The VM is not aware its a
VM so you have to connect to the KVM server using the remote connection
URI.  Like this ..

qemu+ssh://user@kvmhost.tld/

Id recommend looking up setting a normal user to manage KVM so you can use
SSH + auth key.

- Trey