[libvirt-users] libvirt doesn't boot kVM, hangs, qemu on 100% CPU

Igor Galić i.galic at brainsware.org
Wed Feb 22 23:46:28 UTC 2012

Hey folks,

After two painful days of debugging, I've finally found
the answer to the pains.

It lies in my misinterpretation of the unit of <memory>
The unit is k, while I assumed m.

The first thing someone helpfully suggested on IRC, when
seeing <memory>20480</memory> was that 20G might be too
much for my poor OS - so I shaved off a 0, going from
20M, which was already too little for booting a Linux
kernel down to 2.

Whelp. I've already sent an RFE to seabios@ asking if they
would perhaps very much mind adding a printout of the
amount of RAM available, like any other BIOS does.

Let's see where that goes. Meanwhile I talked to Eric
and convinced him that adding <memory units= would be
a good thing. See his next mail in a different thread.

Well so much for that. Thanks to everybody who helped
me step through the stack. You've been a great crowd!

So long,

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic at brainsware.org