[libvirt-users] About IBM PowerVM hypervisor support

Matthias Bolte matthias.bolte at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 4 07:26:08 UTC 2012

2012/7/4 Dennis Chen <dennis.chen at tnsoft.com.cn>:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed that libvirt support the following hypervisors currently:
>
> The KVM/QEMU Linux hypervisor
> The Xen hypervisor on Linux and Solaris hosts.
> The LXC Linux container system
> The OpenVZ Linux container system
> The User Mode Linux paravirtualized kernel
> The VirtualBox hypervisor
> The VMware ESX and GSX hypervisors
> The VMware Workstation and Player hypervisors
> The Microsoft Hyper-V hypervisor
>
> "the goal of libvirt: to provide a common and stable layer sufficient to
> securely manage domains on a node, possibly remote."
>
> My question is, does redhat's libvirt team have the plan to support IBM
> PowerVM hypervisor? If the answer is NO, what's the reason to make the
> support for IBM PowerVM hypervisor doesn't make sense...

Well, libvirt aleady has support for the 'IBM Power Hypervisor' for a
while now, called 'phyp' internally in the codebase, see

http://libvirt.org/git/?p=libvirt.git;a=tree;f=src/phyp

It's just lacking documentation and for some unknown reason is not
mentioned on the homepage. We should fix this.

--
Matthias Bolte
http://photron.blogspot.com