[libvirt-users] editing pools

Osier Yang jyang at redhat.com
Mon Jun 25 10:02:45 UTC 2012

On 2012年06月23日 01:30, Dave Allan wrote:
> On Fedora 17 I used virsh pool-edit to change the directory of the
> default pool that virt-manager creates, and I noticed that my changes
> were discarded unless I made the changes with the pool stopped.  Is
> that expected behavior?

Actually not discarded, persistent conf is changed anyway, and the
new conf is stored in pool->newDef too, but we don't have an option
for pool-dump to dump the inactive pool XML, like "virsh dumpxml
--inactive" for a domain. So one would always see the live pool
conf, which is without the changes.

IMHO it's expected, because if we support the live edit of the objects
XML, that may cause much more problems. E.g. one see the live conf
is changed, but actually one can't start the pool after destroying
it, for the target path is not built yet, however, the pool is still
active with the conf. The only problem is we need to support --inactive
flag for pool-dumpxml from my p.o.v.

Regards,
Osier