[libvirt-users] manipulation extra features which hypervisors support

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Wed Jun 27 12:47:14 UTC 2012

On 06/27/2012 05:19 AM, Rashid Zamani wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I am wondering if libvirt community implement features specefic to only one
> supported hypervisor?

The goal is to support all useful features, even in cases when only one
hypervisor currently supports a given feature.

> I am trying to set the host name and DNS from within the libvirt xml file
> in user mode network option (SLiRP).
> Right now I am using the <qemu:commandline>.
> My concern is if I want to use Xen or other hypervisors, how I should do
> the same.

I'm not sure if it is portable to other hypervisors, but the design goal
in adding such XML should be something that is generic enough that it
might indeed be portable to Xen, even if the initial implementation only
supports qemu.

> To be honest, I have not used any other hypervisor, except QEMU yet, I am
> trying to write a code which can be used for any hypervisor libvirt
> supports, though.
> And I am not even sure if it is possible to set DNS address and so on the
> way they are settable in QEMU.
> Therefore, I was thinking if there is any standard xml element in
> <interface> which I may use to solve my problem (setting dns, host name ,
> and so on...) with.
>
> On the IRC channel I received a reply that this feature has not been
> implemented yet, and you are going to support it soon.
> I am interested to contribute and join the community to imlement this
> feature if possible.
> Appreciate pointing me into right direction and thank you in advance.

You are more than welcome to help out.  I would start by proposing the
particular XML syntax that you think best represents your usage needs,
and get feedback on whether it makes sense and seems generic enough to
port to other hypervisors.