[libvirt-users] Correctly using libvirt to mount /dev/pts and /dev in an lxc application container

Robin Green greenrd at greenrd.org
Wed Mar 7 23:13:52 UTC 2012

On 2012-03-06 19:34, David Jablonski wrote:
> We would like to mount /dev and /dev/pts correctly using the libvirt
> xml
> config file instead of doing a bind mount in a container init script
> we
> use.

You will automatically get a private /dev/pts, without any additional
configuration.

/dev will also get created, but only a very minimal version, and you
cannot use udev inside LXC. So any devices not in the minimal /dev that
need to be accessible will need to be created using mknod in your
script. If you get a permission denied error from mknod, the device
permissions for the cgroup for the container need to be modified.

libvirt is supposed to set up such permissions for you if you specify
you want a device passed through, but I have not been able to get this
to work with containers. I could not get the libcgroup-tools service to
run on bootup either. So I have been manipulating the cgroup permissions
manually in /proc, which is not exactly ideal.

--
Robin