[libvirt-users] XML syntax for "dir" attribute when making Host directory available to Windows guest

Cameron Smith cameron.smith at engco.co.mz
Wed Mar 21 08:32:08 UTC 2012

Hi, I have the following setup:
 Host: Ubuntu 10.04
 Guest: Windows 2008 R2
 Kernel: 2.6.32-40-generic
 virt-inst: 0.500.1-2ubuntu6.2
 qemu-kvm: 0.12.3+noroms-0ubuntu9.18

All is working, however I would now like to share a given directory on the host with the guest.   Using the "virsh edit" command I have prepared the following XML configuration snippet:
 <filesystem type='mount'>
  <source dir='/home/cameron/zip/hla'/>
  <target dir='/mnt/hla'/>
 </filesystem>

My problem is the "target" element - what value should I use in the "dir" attribute, given that Windows drive paths do not follow Unix format (e.g. "F:\" versus "/mnt/hla").

Can any help?

regards,
cameron