[libvirt-users] qemu-monitor-command

Shawn Davis sdavis17 at hawk.iit.edu
Sat Mar 24 16:15:36 UTC 2012

From: Alex Jia [mailto:ajia at redhat.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 9:52 PM
To: Shawn Davis
Cc: Eric Blake; libvirt-users at redhat.com
Subject: Re: [libvirt-users] qemu-monitor-command

On 03/22/2012 05:40 AM, Shawn Davis wrote:

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 4:03 PM, Eric Blake <eblake at redhat.com> wrote:

On 03/21/2012 02:58 PM, Shawn Davis wrote:

>> Older libvirt had a bug where it wouldn't parse qemu 1.0 version (the
>> change from 3 digits to 2 confused the older libvirt).  If you're going
>> to go with self-built qemu, you might also want to try self-built
>> libvirt 0.9.10.
>>
>> --
>> Eric Blake   eblake at redhat.com    +1-919-301-3266 <tel:%2B1-919-301-3266>

>> Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org
>>

> I installed libvirt 0.9.10 from source and now virsh is not finding the
> following:
>
> testa at testaT4:~$ virsh list
> virsh: /usr/lib/libvirt-qemu.so.0: version `LIBVIRT_QEMU_0.9.4' not found
> (required by virsh)

Ouch - you've now got version mismatch, where you didn't completely
uninstall the distro version, and your self-built version is installed
in locations that pick up the distro version.  Did you use the right
configure flags?

> I can't install qemu 1.0 and libvirt 0.9.10 through apt right?

Ah, apt - are you on debian or ubuntu?  I don't know as much about the
versions that those distros are using (I'm personally using Fedora 16,
along with the fedora-virt-preview repo, which gives 0.9.10 pre-built).

> I assume I
> had to get them from source.  Anyways, please let me know how I can get
> virsh to see that I have 0.9.10.  Once I get this working and can run that
> monitor command I will be in good shape.

There might be someone already shipping a pre-built 0.9.10 apt, but I
wouldn't know where to tell you to look, so building from source is the
other alternative.  If you build from libvirt.git, you can use
'./autobuild.sh --system' to help set the ./configure options that match
with the typical installation directories for at least Fedora, but
again, I don't know how that fares with the debian installation layout
(and patches are welcome to autobuild.sh for anyone that wants to use it
on a debian layout).

--
Eric Blake   eblake at redhat.com    +1-919-301-3266 <tel:%2B1-919-301-3266>

Yeah, I am using Ubuntu 11.10.  I was able to uninstall the old libvirt and
virsh works again but still getting this when trying to start the vm:

testa at testaT4:~$ virsh list
 Id    Name                           State

testa at testaT4:~$ virsh version
Compiled against library: libvir 0.9.10
Using library: libvir 0.9.10
Using API: QEMU 0.9.10
error: failed to get the hypervisor version
error: internal error Cannot find suitable emulator for x86_64

testa at testaT4:~$ virsh -c qemu:///system start Shawn
error: Failed to connect socket to
'/usr/local/var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock': No such file or directory

I guess you're using a old virsh with new libvirt, you may check your virsh
command location,
if `which virsh` says '/usr/bin/virsh' and `which libvirtd` says
/usr/sbin/libvirtd, and socket is
/var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock not above socket path, it's right.

It probably your virsh command path is /usr/local/bin/virsh, and your socket
path is
/var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock now, if so, you may explicitly specify
/usr/bin/virsh or clean up
your dirty environment then directly run virsh instead of a absolute path.

Good Luck!
Alex

error: failed to connect to the hypervisor
testa at testaT4:~$

Thanks again for helping me out!

I ended up starting over and reinstalled Ubuntu 11.10.  I removed the
exiting kvm and downloaded qemu-kvm-1.0.tar.gz and built it from source out
of my Downloads directory.  I then did the same thing with libvirt 0.9.10.
Virsh works but still when I do the version it still says:

error: failed to get the hypervisor version
error: internal error Cannot find suitable emulator for x86_64

I also can't seem to start libvirtd and it is not located in /etc/init.d

Sorry for the noob question but how do I configure and build qemu-kvm and
libvirt so that they are all installed in the correct places?  Is there a
specific flag I need to use or do I need to install them from a specific
directory?  It looks like the files and being put all over the place.  Some
are in /etc and some are in /usr/local/etc.  If I can get everything to
install in the correct spots I should be good I would hope.

Thanks!

Shawn