[libvirt-users] virt-install kickstart local file

Joe Linoff jlinoff at tabula.com
Tue Nov 6 06:29:43 UTC 2012

Hi Everybody:

I am trying to get virt-install to work with a kickstart file that is on
the local file system.

I tried using the --initrd-inject="/tmp"
--extra-args="ks=file:/myks.cfg" but I got this error message:

   ERROR    --extra-args only work if specified with --location.

Here is the basic command:

virt-install \
   --accelerate \
   --cdrom /tools/iso/CentOS-6.3-x86_64-bin-DVD1.iso \
   --disk device=disk,path="/var/lib/libvirt/images/myguest.img" \
   --graphics vnc \
   --name myguest \
   --os-type linux \
   --os-variant rhel6 \
   --ram 2048 \
   --vpcus 1,maxvcpus=4 \
   --initrd-inject "/tmp" \
   --extra-args "ks=file:/myks.cfg"

Why do I need the location? I thought that was only used when
installatiing from a distribution tree. I am using a DVD ISO image. If I
have to use it, how would I specify it?

If this approach won't work, I could move the ks.cfg file to an NFS
mounted file system but I am not sure what the syntax is for that.

I am running this on a CentOS 6.3 system.
libvirt: 0.9.10
qemu: 0.12.1

Thank you,

Joe