[libvirt-users] Re-sizing qcow2 images

Rajesh Kumar Mallah mallah at tradeindia.com
Sun Oct 28 15:08:53 UTC 2012

----- "Chandana De Silva" <chandana at desilva.id.au> wrote:

> [...]

Yes.

| > and use the partition tools (like parted , fdisk,cfdisk etc)
| > and filesystem tools (like xfs_grow , resize2fs etc) to grow the
| filesystem.
| Assuming it will be possible to detach and attach, I still have the
| problem of parted giving the incompatible feature error. These disk
| have GPT partitions so I can use fdisk

I am not sure about the "incompatible feature error" . May be you could try
fdisk or cfdisk. It is usually a good idea to "free" the device before
doing partition resizes. We had done it (resizing cow2) once and it was
successful , we had to although convert from cow2 to raw , append a new
dd'ed file and user fdisk over the raw image. eventually it worked.

what is the size of your cow2 device if its not huge you may consider backing it
up and restore to a larger device.

hope it helps.

mallah.