[libvirt-users] libvirt and thin provisionned LVM

Daniel Berteaud daniel at firewall-services.com
Mon Oct 29 21:03:37 UTC 2012

Hi there.

I'm trying to use thin provisionned LVM for som eguests, and I'm having a problem.
Until now, I use LVM pool with success. Here's my pool definition:

<pool type='logical'>
  <name>data</name>
  <uuid>7f18e030-9d2d-805e-c65f-d12d0681b0a9</uuid>
  <capacity unit='bytes'>0</capacity>
  <allocation unit='bytes'>0</allocation>
  <available unit='bytes'>0</available>
  <source>
    <name>data</name>
    <format type='lvm2'/>
  </source>
  <target>
    <path>/dev/data</path>
    <permissions>
      <mode>0700</mode>
      <owner>-1</owner>
      <group>-1</group>
    </permissions>
  </target>
</pool>

Everything is working, until I create a thin privisionned pool like this:

lvcreate --thin data/pool -L 50G

Now, as soon as this is created, I cannot refresh my pool from libvirt POV:

LANG=C_ALL virsh pool-refresh data
error: Failed to start pool sys
error: erreur interne Child process (/sbin/vgchange -aln vg_gerard) status unexpected: exit status 5

If I remove this LV, everything is working again.

I'm using libvirt 0.9.10, the default one in CentOS 6.3 (x86_64).

Has anybody managed to get it working ?

Is this something fixed in more recent release ?

Regards, Daniel
--
Daniel Berteaud
FIREWALL-SERVICES SARL.