[libvirt-users] How to disable dnsmasq from starting automatically with libvirtd

Marwan Tanager marwan.tngr at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 06:55:51 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 01:04:58PM +0800, Osier Yang wrote:
> On 2012年09月13日 11:23, Marwan Tanager wrote:
>
> No, to disable the autostarting of dnsmasq, you need to disable the
> autostart of network which drives dnsmasq (named 'default' by default).
>
> % virsh net-autostart --disable default
>
> Then it won't be started automatically along with libvirtd service next
> time.

Thanks for the response, but my question was whether it's possible to start
libvirtd (and hence, activate the virtual networks "automatically") on boot, but
without dnsmasq being started along the way. Your answer means that to disable
dnsmasq from starting automatically, I need to disable the network form starting
automatically too.

Anyway, I destroyed the 'default' network, then killed the dnsmasq process for
that network, but when I started it again, dnsmasq started along with it. So, it
appears that the whole thing is hard coded.

So, would this solution have any side effects: To delete 'default' then recreate
it but without DHCP enabled?

Thanks,

	Marwan