[libvirt-users] minor swap issue ....

William A. Mahaffey III wam at hiwaay.net
Tue Sep 25 17:11:24 UTC 2012

On 09/25/12 10:57, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 09/25/2012 09:21 AM, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
>>
>> .... I have a CentOS 5.n VM running on a Fedora 14 server/host,
> You do realize that Fedora 14 is no longer supported upstream, right?
> The Fedora folks won't support anything older than Fedora 16 at the moment.

Yes, thanks. I am planning to upgrade this server to CentOS 6.n when I
get a chance, but right now, it is serving many purposes, including
across-the-LAN backups, singly since another server crashed a HDD a
while back. I'll get around to it eventually ....

>> i.e. it took 3+ min. to get back to the prompt for this command (usually
>> about 5 sec.) .... This isn't a show-stopped by any means, but it is
>> irritating. From the timestamps&  data from the host&  guest, apparently
>> all of that was used up swapping the guest back in. Is there any way to
>> either prioritize the VM to not get swapped out, or preferentially
>> swapped back in :-) ? TIA for any pointers ....
> I have no idea if this problem exists using modern kernels, or even if
> you can use recent cgroup scheduling tunables (exposed via domain XML
> here: http://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementsCPUTuning) to resolve
> your problem.  But you are unlikely to get much assistance unless you
> can reproduce the tests using more up-to-date software.

Fedora 12-14 are inputs/basis for RHEL/CentOS 6.n, so I am not clear on
why they are not 'modern' or 'up-to-date' ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."
                            -- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.