[libvirt-users] How to give access to /dev/tty

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Apr 2 09:52:06 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 11:04:25AM +0100, Guillaume Thouvenin wrote:
> I made some others tests. To start the X server in the container I'm
> now using the command:
>
> $ xinit  -- /usr/bin/X vt1
>
> In my xorg.conf file I put the minimum to run the X server headless.
> I copied it at the end of this email. In the xml file of the
> container I have:
>
>    <console type='pty'>
>      <target type='lxc' port='0'/>
>    </console>
>    <console type='pty'>
>      <target type='lxc' port='1'/>
>    </console>
>
> So the error now is:
>
> Fatal server error:
> xf86OpenConsole: VT_ACTIVATE failed: Invalid argument
>

> This error occurs because the X server tried to do an
> ioctl(/dev/tty1, VT_ACTIVATE) on /dev/tty1 that is not a tty, it's a
> link to /dev/pts/0.

Yep, the consoles you get available inside a container are not
real Linux virtual consoles, so X is not going to be happy with
them.

Instead of using a <console> element, you'll need to pass through
the real console device using:

  <hostdev mode='capabilities' type='misc'>
    <source>
      <char>/dev/tty1</char>
    </source>
  </hostdev>

NB, this requires libvirt >= 1.0.1 to work

>From your later posts, you'd also need to use this syntax to pass
through /dev/nvidida1

Regards,
Daniel