[libvirt-users] Sanlock - what are my options?

Russell Jones russell at jonesmail.me
Mon Apr 22 23:48:27 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I have an RHCS 2 node cluster utilizing SAN storage with GFS2 for the VM
images. I am looking into configuring Sanlock, however am running into
some architecture questions with it. The documentation for Sanlock states:

"The sanlock plugin needs to create leases in a directory that is on a
filesystem shared between all hosts running virtual machines. Obvious
choices for this include NFS or GFS2."

I do not have a highly available NFS mount where I can store the disk
leases, and I cannot store the lockspace on the same GFS2 mount as the
disk images as during fencing/journal recovery disk I/O can become
blocked, which causes Sanlock to log warnings/errors about renewals.

Is there another option for configuration?