[libvirt-users] Creating a snapshot from a KVM VM fails

Tobias Brunner tobias at tobru.ch
Tue Aug 20 15:13:14 UTC 2013

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the answer.

> An internal snapshot of a VM requires that the VM has at least one disk
> using a QCOW2 volume or similar. The memory state is saved in that
> image. Your VM has only a RAW disk image and thus it can't be used for
> internal snapshot.

Ok, that makes sense...

> You can either use an external snapshot (the memory image is stored
> separately), but the support for external snapshots isn't finished yet
> (they can't be reverted automatically).

How can I create an external snapshot?

> The second option is to convert your VM to a qcow2 image file..

>>     <disk type='network' device='disk'>
>>       <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='none'/>
>>       <source protocol='rbd' name='one/one-5-5-0'/>
>>       <target dev='hda' bus='ide'/>
>>       <alias name='ide0-0-0'/>
>>       <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0'
>> unit='0'/>
>>     </disk>

As you can see, I'm using RBD as storage backend. So converting to a
qcow2 is not an option. Any idea how to achieve internal snapshots using
RBD as storage backend? F.e. attach an additional qcow2 disk just for
the snapshot?

Cheers,
Tobias