[libvirt-users] libvirt, lvm thin provisioning

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Tue Dec 3 23:20:52 UTC 2013

On 12/03/2013 02:41 PM, Michael Mol wrote:

>> Ah, but you already CAN do that.  Libvirt external snapshots (since
>> libvirt 1.0.5, or even earlier if you don't care about machine state
>> but just disk state) coupled with qemu 1.3 or newer is perfectly able
>> to create qcow2 chains such that you can do a backup of the snapshot
>> without any downtime to the guest.  Admittedly, keeping things optimal
>> so that the qcow2 chain doesn't grow without bounds is a bit harder
>> problem, and qemu 1.7 has added some new functionality not yet
>> integrated into libvirt to make life easier for taking snapshots
>> without having to track the cleanup efforts.

> Excellent to hear!
>
> Where can I find out more about how to handle cleanup? I don't need an
> automatic backup process requiring manual cleanup.

This wiki page has captured some discussions from this list regarding
the matter (unfortunately not organized the best at the moment, but may
have what you need...)

http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/I_created_an_external_snapshot%2C_but_libvirt_won%27t_let_me_delete_or_revert_to_it

Or if you get stuck, and can't find an answer from searching the list
archives, feel free to describe your specific scenario and I'm glad to
help brainstorm what to try next.