[libvirt-users] The accurate CPU usage of a domain?

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Thu Feb 28 04:01:19 UTC 2013

On 02/27/2013 08:25 PM, 张章 wrote:

> Hi,all
> I want to get a relatively accurate cpu usage of a domain. I have a few questions about  virDomainGetInfo:  struct virDomainInfo{  unsigned char state : //the running state, one of virDomainState    unsigned long maxMem :// the maximum memory in KBytes allowed   unsigned long memory :// the memory in KBytes used by the domain   unsigned short nrVirtCpu :// the number of virtual CPUs for the domain   unsigned long long cpuTime : //the CPU time used in nanoseconds   }
> If a domain is assigned to 4 vcpus and my machine has 6 physical cores, then the cpuTime in virDomainInfo should be the sum of cpu time of the 4 vcpus. When I want to calculate the cpu usage, which of the following is more accurate?      1/4 * cpu time /  total time  or  4/6 * cpu time / total time  or just cpu time / total time

[Can you please convince your mailer to wrap long lines, and use proper
line breaks when quoting code, so that your mail is legible?]

At this point, I'd suggest the best way of knowing what times are
returned is checking the source code; but patches to make the
documentation more obvious for the next person would be appreciated.

If you want more statistics, which might provide you with more accuracy,
you might also be interested in looking at the virDomainGetCPUStats.