[libvirt-users] how to use libvirt

tianwei zhang artdream07 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 06:22:38 UTC 2013

Hi Eric:

Yes, I mean sudo make install.

What I installed the libvirt on ubuntu is as below:

./configure --prefix=/usr --localstatedir=/var --sysconfdir=/etc
make
sudo make install.

after installation, I try to start the libvirtd and the error is:

service libvirtd start
libvirtd: unrecognized service

Also when I type:

virsh list --all:
error: Failed to reconnect to the hypervisor
error: no valid connection
error: Failed to connect socket to '/var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock': No such
file or directory

So what's wrong with that?

Thank you so much

Tianwei

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 11:00 AM, Eric Blake <eblake at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 01/06/2013 09:14 PM, tianwei zhang wrote:
> > Hi everyone:
> >
> > I am just a new user to libvirt. I installed libvirt as:
> >
> > ./configure
> > make
> > sudo make
>
> Did you mean 'sudo make install' here?
>

> > After that I run the program in the development guide.
>
> Which guide?  Having a URL to the guide you were following will help us
> know whether we can improve that guide to make it easier to use.
>
> > But it seems that
> > the program is stuck in the function of virConnectOpenReadOnly. When I
> > tried the command: virsh list --all, it is also stuck. So could anyone
> tell
> > me what's wrong with this?
>
> It may be easier to use a pre-built version from your distro, as that
> will eliminate the possibility of user error in building your package
> until you are more familiar with using libvirt.  Beyond that, you didn't
> give us much to go on - it is not obvious whether libvirtd is running,
> or whether you ran 'virsh' as root or as a normal user, or even what is
> in the log files, so it could be a number of problems.
>
> Does this page help? http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Troubleshooting
>
> --
> Eric Blake   eblake redhat com    +1-919-301-3266

Tianwei Zhang
Department of Electrical Engineering
Princeton University
NJ, USA