[libvirt-users] Using a Windows partition as libvirt media

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Fri Jun 14 09:07:43 UTC 2013

On 06/13/2013 08:48 PM, Roland Giesler wrote:
> Surely there must be someone here that knows how to do this?  Maybe
> someone that has used some other partition type in this way?
>
> On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 10:06 PM, Roland Giesler <roland at giesler.za.net> wrote:
>> I'm running Ubuntu desktop 12.10 with libvirt and virt-manager (gui).
>>
>> I have been led to believe that it is possible to use and existing partition
>> as the disk storage volume for a virtual machine.
>>
>> The windows partition is /dev/sda2, but if I use fs: Pre-formatted Block
>> Device I can select the partion.  What I can't figure out is how to tell the
>> vitual machine to use this volume.

If I'm not mistaken, the fact that it is only a partition (and not whole
disk), you cannot passthrough it to the guest as a lun, but that
shouldn't be a problem for you.

>> I tried with virt-manager, but the only options I have are
>>
>> * Local media
>> * Network install
>> * Network Boot
>> * Import Existing Disk Image

You should be able to safely select the last option and
virt-{install,manager} will detect that it is a block device and use
<disk type='block' device='disk'> for the disk.

Martin