[libvirt-users] Using a Windows partition as libvirt media

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Tue Jun 18 10:08:55 UTC 2013

On 06/18/2013 09:36 AM, Roland Giesler wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 11:07 AM, Martin Kletzander <mkletzan at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On 06/13/2013 08:48 PM, Roland Giesler wrote:
>>> On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 10:06 PM, Roland Giesler <roland at giesler.za.net> wrote:
[...]
>> You should be able to safely select the last option and
>> virt-{install,manager} will detect that it is a block device and use
>> <disk type='block' device='disk'> for the disk.
>
> No, it doesn't.  :-( It wants to create a new storage location in the
> selected area when I create the machine.  Seems I'll have to do this
> manually.

I use it like this:

In virt-manager, go through: New -> Import existing disk image ->
Forward -> Fill in /dev/sda2 -> 3x Forward -> Finish

In case you really want it as a 'lun', not a 'block', you can click
"Customize before installation", remove the existing disk, add nex
hardware, storage and fill in '/dev/sda2' and select Virtio lun or
Virtio SCSI lun or whatever you wish.

Is anything from this method missing in your virt-manager version?

Martin