[libvirt-users] Developing on host machine, running code on guest VM

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Wed Mar 6 18:40:29 UTC 2013

On 03/06/2013 11:02 AM, Brad Barrows wrote:
> Currently I am developing my projects on my host laptop and am sharing my
> development folder with my Guest VMs via NFS. This works however it is
> somewhat a hassle do to UID/GID issues..
>
> I was wondering if there was something similar to Shared Drives in
> VirtualBox?

We do have 9p filesystem passthrough, if your guest understands plan9
filesystems:
http://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementsFilesystems
This appears to be the closest to a VirtualBox shared drive.

> Is NFS the best way to go about this kind of development or is there
> another feature I am missing?

While 9p is probably the slickest approach, NFS is probably the most
universally supported.  There are also other shared filesystems like
glusterfs that might be easier to manage than NFS.  But yeah, the
concept of having the guest share a portion of the filesystem living in
the host is still a topic for current development efforts.