[libvirt-users] Host modifications

Benoit Friry benoit at friry.net
Mon Mar 25 09:09:57 UTC 2013

Hello,

I test libvirt 0.9.12 on Debian.

I am disappointed by changes made on my host without any notice.

Examples:
  - editing interfaces with virsh or virt-manager modifies my
/etc/network/interfaces. It's not clear at first glance that I can even
cut myself from the host when editing remotely. The initial file is not
even saved.
  - starting default network (nat) adds rules in netfilter. I have not
seen how to create another network nat conf without calling
clean-traffic nwfilter (it is not explicit in network XML file). Is it
hardcoded ?

I think it would be nice:
  - to be alerted before any host modification,
  - to be able to change the templates, for instance:
    - not including any nwfilter when creating a network,
    - script called when adding a file in a dir pool,
    - and so on.

Did I miss something?
Am I alone to disappointed by such behavior?

Thanks,
Benoit