[libvirt-users] Enable bios useserial=yes from command line

Knightmare knightmare2600 at googlemail.com
Fri May 31 10:28:11 UTC 2013

Hi Guys,

I'm currently learning KVM and have set up an Ubuntu 12.04.2 VM running KVM.

I am using the following command to provision a VM:

  virt-install --connect qemu:///system --ram "$ramsize" -n "$vmname"
--boot network,hd,menu=on --os-variant="$variant" --disk
path=/var/lib/libvirt/images/"$vmname".qcow2,device=disk,bus=virtio,format=qcow2
--mac=  --cpu host --vcpus="$numcpus" --graphics none --noautoconsole
--import

But cannot seem to find a way to enable bios useserial=yes without issuing
a virsh edit $vmname

I've tried --extraargs= but that appears to be for kernel command lines,
which is not what I want to achieve here.  I'm looking for a way to enable
serial BIOS from the point the VM is created.

The current solution I am using is to do virsh destroy $vmname ; virsh edit
$vm_name ; virsh start $vm_name which is not great, but gets the job done.

My versions are as follows:

Ubuntu 12.04.2 x86_64 kernel 3.2.0-39-generic
libvirt 0.9.8-2ubuntu17.8
qemu-kvm 1.0+noroms-0ubuntu14.8

Thanks,
Robert