[libvirt-users] User Namespace in LXC

Saurabh Deochake saurabh.d04 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 09:15:32 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I'm trying to restrict privileges of root user inside the container. I
searched about it and got to know about "idmap" element in domain XML.

I added "idmap" element in my container's XML file:

<idmap>
    <uid start='0' target='1000' count='10'/>
    <gid start='0' target='1000' count='10'/>
  </idmap>

I restarted the container with updated XML file.

When I execute "id" command to know if root user inside the container has
been mapped with an user from host, i still get output uid as 0

# id -u root
0

Am I doing the steps right to check the user namespacing? Please help me
out with this.

Thanks in advance,

Saurabh Deochake.
NTT DATA OSS Center, Pune, India