[libvirt-users] Accessing the host server's file system from a guest OS

Roland Giesler roland at giesler.za.net
Wed Oct 2 16:07:20 UTC 2013

Is there no way in which one can access the host's filesystem from within a
guest OS.

Libvirt's virt-manager GUI seems to indicate that there is, by virtue of
the FileSystem Passthrough option as shown below

[image: Inline image 1]

The scenario I typically have is a Linux Server on a ext4 file system, with
a Windows 7 Guest OS running a KVM machine.

No matter what combination of options I choose, I can never "mount" the
host drive in Windows to be able to transfer files from one to the other.
 Both VMWare Player and Virtualbox have this capability, yet I find this
sorely lacking in libvirt/virt-manager.  What do I need to do to make this
work?

regards

Roland