[libvirt-users] Accessing the host server's file system from a guest OS

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Oct 2 16:18:23 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 02, 2013 at 06:07:20PM +0200, Roland Giesler wrote:
> Is there no way in which one can access the host's filesystem from within a
> guest OS.
>
> Libvirt's virt-manager GUI seems to indicate that there is, by virtue of
> the FileSystem Passthrough option as shown below
>
> [image: Inline image 1]
>
> The scenario I typically have is a Linux Server on a ext4 file system, with
> a Windows 7 Guest OS running a KVM machine.
>
> No matter what combination of options I choose, I can never "mount" the
> host drive in Windows to be able to transfer files from one to the other.
>  Both VMWare Player and Virtualbox have this capability, yet I find this
> sorely lacking in libvirt/virt-manager.  What do I need to do to make this
> work?

There is something known as "virtio-9p" which is the 9p filesystem
running over virtio betweeen host & guest. The problem is there are
only guest drivers for Linux. Windows/BSD/etc all out of luck.

The only other option is to setup a private, isolated network
between host & guest and then run NFS or Samba or something
similar.

Daniel