[libvirt-users] [Qemu-devel] About VM fork in QEMU

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Mon Oct 28 18:18:11 UTC 2013

On 10/28/2013 12:12 PM, Xinyang Ge wrote:
>>> That's odd, because we have supported --live since 1.0.5.  Are you sure
>>> you are running the right libvirtd version and not just reporting the
>>> version of your virsh?
>>
>> You are right. I am running an old libvirtd but with a new virsh. It
>> works now! Thank you so much!
>
> Another question is about snapshot reversion. I am trying to use
> "virsh snapshot-revert $dom $snap" for snapshot reversion. However, it
> says nothing and returns almost immediately, but nothing happens to
> the guest. Do you know the reason?

Libvirt does not yet support snapshot revert for external snapshots;
there have been some ideas posted on list about what needs to be done to
add the support, but so far no finalized patches.  It's a bug that your
attempts to revert are not being more vocal about failing due to lack of
support.  For now, you'll have to do the revert by manual use of
qemu-img and editing of a libvirt <domain> XML; more details can be
found on this wiki page (still in a bit of disarray, so feel free to
edit it for clarity according to what works for you):

http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/I_created_an_external_snapshot%2C_but_libvirt_won%27t_let_me_delete_or_revert_to_it