[libvirt-users] [virt-tools-list] Is virsh supposed to work on Windows?

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Wed Sep 4 19:04:19 UTC 2013

On 09/04/2013 12:53 PM, Fernando Lozano wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Sorry for the cross-post, but I seeked help on this issue before on
> those lists, but nobody answered. :-(
>
> I'm trying to use virsh and virt-viewer on Windows.  I'm running the
> latest binaries from http://spice-space.org/download.html, that is,
> virt-viewer-x64-0.5.7.msi on a Windows 7 64-bits computer.
>
> So far I got remote-viewer.exe to work, after some pain. But have no
> sucess using virt-viewer.exe and virsh.exe. Are they supposed to work,
> or am I loosing my time?

It will only work if someone interested enough submits patches.

> Even then virsh can't connect:
>
> virsh # connect qemu://kvmhost/system
> error: Failed to connect to the hypervisor
> error: Unable to set close-on-exec flag: Success

Here, I wonder if we can't improve the situation;
src/util/virutil.c:virSetInherit() does nothing, and its wrapper
virSetCloseExec() should therefore always return 0, which makes it very
suspicious - the message in src/rpc/virnetsocket.c about close-on-exec
not working should never be reached.

What version of virsh is included in that msi?  Maybe it's just a case
of a stale build, for something that has been fixed upstream?

But I personally have not tried to build or debug on mingw, to know if
this is the only issue, or if you are staring at a number of other
portability issues to resolve first.