[libvirt-users] Help needed in simulating libvirt

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Sep 11 11:09:32 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 04:30:13PM +0530, Arun Viswanath wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> I've used the URI:
> "test+ssh://<ipaddress>/default" and the connection is successful and with
> that connection I issued getCapabilities and its result is attached.
> I'm not sure how is result xml generated by the files in the /examples
> folder.
> Will you please explain how is this xml generated.

You write the XML yourself to describe the initiall characteristics of the
host scenario you are trying to simulate. eg the XML file describes what
guests you want to pre-create, the capabilities of the host, the storage
pools, storage volumes, etc, etc. The examples/xml/test directory shows
some illustrations of how todo this.

> Also my client is not going to modified. My client is going to connect with
> the URI "qemu+tls://<host>/system?no_tty=1", so I can't directly use the
> test driver here so I need to replace the qemu driver with the test driver
> and give my dummy response. So I need to know how to replace the driver say
> qemu with test driver and generating my desired output.

Why can't you modify your client. It is pretty reasonable to have the
URI be configurable for any libvirt based app, so I don't see why this
should be a blocker.

> If the test driver is not going to support me too much then I might want to
> write new driver. Is there is any reference how to write new driver.

I don't see any compelling reason to create a new driver for the scenario
you are describing, and would likely reject any patches aiming to do so
based in the info you have provided so far.

Daniel