[libvirt-users] Unable to start libvirt_lxc domain a second time after shutdown

Florian Klink flokli at flokli.de
Mon Sep 30 14:42:18 UTC 2013

Hi,

I'm unable to start a lxc domain again after shutting it down.

Something doesn't seem to "clean up" the socket file (and probably
more), as the error message says

"Unable to start Domain: Failed to connect socket to
'/var/run/libvirt/lxc/test.sock': Connection refused."

I can create a domain with the same config as the one thats shutted
down, but with other uid and name, of course, and I'm able to boot up
this domain.

However, the init process is much shorter (some filesystems are not
mounted), so maybe there is still something left "open" after the lxc
container is shut down?

I saw the problem in libvirt 1.1.2 and current git (1.1.3-rc2 plus 7
commits, on 51e21ba7b6f59d6ad9339b2da2b75cc7704f9ecf)

Configuration is something like this:

<domain type='lxc'>
  <name>test</name>
  <memory unit='KiB'>1048576</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>1048576</currentMemory>
  <vcpu placement='static'>1</vcpu>
  <resource>
    <partition>/machine</partition>
  </resource>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64'>exe</type>
    <init>/sbin/init</init>
  </os>
  <clock offset='utc'/>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/lib/libvirt/libvirt_lxc</emulator>
    <filesystem type='mount' accessmode='passthrough'>
      <source dir='/var/lib/libvirt/filesystems/test/root'/>
      <target dir='/'/>
    </filesystem>
    <interface type='network'>
    </interface>