[libvirt-users] libvirt and glusterfs integrate problem

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Mon Apr 14 14:55:01 UTC 2014

On 04/13/2014 08:45 PM, lyz_pro wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> I have a problem when use libvirt and glusterfs.
> When I use libvirt to start a vm with glusterfs disk. the operation will block.

I've seen similar reports; the problem is in glusterfs and not in
libvirt.  Something in qemu's use of gluster is hanging, which in turn
prevents qemu from responding to libvirt, so libvirt is blocked waiting
for gluster to complete its action.  You'll need to debug why gluster is
not returning control to the user (either with the action completed, or
with a timely error message).

> after I `CTL + c` the 'virsh start domainxx' comand ,
> I use `virsh list` will find the vm in a strange state, kind like follow:
>  Id    Name                           State
>  20    vm10                           shut off
> and I when I start the vm again, It will promote the vm is in active.

There may be follow0on bugs in libvirt not handling state changes
gracefully when you ctrl-c a virsh command in the middle of a start command.

> Also:
> I can use `qemu-kvm` command to start vm successful with gluster://172.16.32.16
> I have stop both nodes' iptables. and my libvirt and qemu version is :
> Compiled against library: libvirt 1.1.4
> Using library: libvirt 1.1.4
> Using API: QEMU 1.1.4
> Running hypervisor: QEMU 1.6.2
> glusterfs-3.4.1-3.el6.x86_64

Can you repeat with libvirt 1.2.3, and/or newer qemu (qemu 1.7 is out,
qemu 2.0 is on release candidate 2 for a release "real soon now"), to
see if this is a bug that has been fixed in the meantime?