[libvirt-users] What's the meaning of sub-element <ip address='X.X.X.X'> in <interface type='bridge'> of domain xml?

Jianwei Hu jiahu at redhat.com
Thu Apr 17 07:42:50 UTC 2014

Hi guys,

I saw this sub-element in http://libvirt.org/firewall.html, there is some confusion, what's the meaning of sub-element <ip address='X.X.X.X'> in <interface type='bridge'> of domain xml?

The detail <interface> in domain xml as below:
<interface type='bridge'>
  <mac address='52:54:00:56:44:32'/>
  <source bridge='br1'/>
  <ip address='10.X.X.X'/>         <===it's my question
  <target dev='vnet0'/>
  <model type='virtio'/>
  <filterref filter='clean-traffic'/>
</interface>

Is it static IP(specified by customer) in guest OS? or a IP of interface(e.g. eno1) in "br1" on host machine? what's definition about it?

[root at localhost src]# brctl show
bridge name	bridge id		STP enabled	interfaces
br1		8000.24be051881ce	no		eno1

If you know how to use it, please show me a detail scenario.

Thanks,
Jianwei