[libvirt-users] How to use /dev/mapper in virt-manager/libvirt

Marc Haber mh+libvirt-users at zugschlus.de
Sun Feb 9 15:24:55 UTC 2014

Hi,

my test host is running Debian/GNU Linux unstable and has virt-manger
0.9.5 and libvirt 1.2.1. I am using encryption and thus have devices
in /dev/mapper that are not LVs, for example called
/dev/mapper/myvirtualdisk.

I'd like to configure libvirt in a way that allows me to directly
assign such devices to a VM. This does not work when I create a
filesystem directory storage pool in virt-manager since virt-manager
obviously choked in /dev/mapper/control, which is a character special
device that is only readable by root. I currently help myself by
linking the devices in question manually to /dev/luksdev and having a
filesystem directory storage pool point to that directory. this works,
but is ugly.

Is there a nicer way to get the contents of /dev/mapper available as
volumes in virt-manager?

Greetings
Marc