[libvirt-users] Retry reboots in xmls files for libvirt

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Thu Jan 16 16:17:46 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 04:59:20PM +0100, Fernando Porro wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a virtual machine defined by xml that start from pxe (network boot),
> my problem is that sometimes the dhcp server is not ready when the virtual
> machine try to boot.
>
> I need that the virtual machine keep asking for dhcp (network reboot) many
> times, until dhcp is ready and can start the virtual machine with a valid
> ip.
>
> How can I configure that in the xml file?

I'm not sure you can configure that for ipxe or qemu, but you can set
the reboot timeout for the machine in <os> tag like this:

<bios rebootTimeout='0'/>

that means immediate reboot when there is no place to boot from.  In
order for it not to boot from any other device or for any other
details, see http://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html

Have a nice day,
Martin